About – Voluntary Workers Insurance
This cover helps protect your organisation’s voluntary workers by allowing for the payment of financial compensation for personal injury sustained when undertaking an activity on behalf of your organisation in an official capacity.
Why do you need Volunteer Personal Accident Insurance?
Voluntary Workers Personal Accident insurance can help compensate your Volunteers for certain expenses and lost income incurred as a result of an accident/injury sustained whilst performing work for your organisation, including direct travel to and from the work site. The financial compensation provided by the policy can include benefits such as Weekly Benefits for lost income, Capital Benefits for permanent disablement or death, and in some cases Out of Pocket non-Medicare medical expenses where allowed by legislation.
Features of our Voluntary Workers Insurance Cover:
Loss of Income Loss of income as a result an illness or injury
Australia Wide Cover Covers volunteers anywhere in Australia.
Full Benefits To 85 85+ receive Capital Benefit sum insured of $10,000.
No Waiting Periods To claim policy benefits.
Some examples of who the policy covers:
- Committee Members (as long as they are unpaid)
- Fundraising Officers (as long as they are unpaid)
- Volunteers acting on behalf of your group
- Volunteers setting up at your event
- Volunteers travelling to and from activities
You should consider keeping a register of volunteers and officials and when they are engaged in activities on your behalf.
Examples of the activities which can be covered by this policy:
- Setting up for an event
- Serving tea and coffee
- Selling or taking tickets at an event
- Acting as an usher or information guide
Examples of what activities will not be covered by the policy:
- It will not provide cover where the person injured is not working in an official capacity on your behalf. The cover triggers on injury only while they are performing the volunteer work — so they need to be working for you in a recognised capacity helping to run the group’s activities.
- When they are engaged in performing, e.g. in a choir or a theatre group as when they are doing this they are deemed to be ‘performers’ and are not classed as providing voluntary work, under a typical voluntary workers policy, when performing this activity.
The Voluntary Workers Personal Accident insurance does have options which enables you to tailor the policy to provide the best level of cover for your volunteers.
- Payment of 100% of income up to the amount shown on the policy Schedule and for up to 104 weeks.
- No waiting period applies to this section.
- Our policy covers volunteers anywhere in Australia.
- Full Benefits paid up to the age of 85. 85+ receive Capital Benefit sum insured of $10,000.
- Out of pocket expenses related to the injury of up to $10,000. This includes Non-Medicare Medical Expenses* with reimbursement of 100% of all non-Medicare medical expenses incurred as a result of personal injury. * NOTE: The Non-Medicare Medical Expenses benefit may not be payable to all injured volunteers. Cover in this area is regulated by the [Commonwealth] Private Health Insurance Act 2007 and the Rules attaching to the Act.
- Aggregate limit of liability $10,000,000 any one accident or series of accidents arising out of the one event.
Policy benefits options available:
- Capital Benefits $50,000 / weekly $500
- Capital Benefits $75,000 / weekly $750
- Capital Benefits $100,000 / weekly $750
- Capital Benefits $100,000 / weekly $1000
Frequently Asked Questions
What locations does this policy cover?
The Voluntary Workers Personal Accident insurance policy helps cover your volunteers anywhere in Australia, including travelling to and from locations where they are volunteering.
What does this insurance cover?
Voluntary Workers Personal Accident Insurance helps provide cover for loss of wages, compensation for permanent disablement, and, in some circumstances, payment of injury-related non-Medicare medical expenses where a volunteer is injured while undertaking activities on behalf of the organisation and cannot work at their regular occupation.
Who does this insurance cover?
Voluntary Workers Personal Accident Insurance helps provide cover for volunteers working for you in an official capacity, e.g. organising activities or assisting at events. The policy can provide volunteers with financial compensation if they sustain a personal injury while working in a group's volunteer capacity. It would be best if you considered keeping a register of volunteers and officials and when they are engaged in activities on your behalf.
Is there an age limit on this cover?
Full benefits are paid up to the age of 85. Capital Benefit of $10,000 available to individuals over the age of 85.
The above statements are issued as a matter of information only and for full terms and conditions you should refer to the policy wording. All cover is subject to the terms, conditions and exclusions of the policy.